Installing Adobe Digital Editions
Commercial publishers' e-books are often copy-protected. The free Adobe Digital Editions software is needed to read these e-books. It must be installed before downloading the e-book.
Install Adobe Digital Editions according to the instructions on Adobe's website.
For a mobile device, install Adobe Digital Editions from the app store.
After a successful installation you should be able to open and read copy-protected e-books downloaded from e.g. Ebook Central.
Create an Adobe ID account
With an Adobe ID account, various reader programs will identify you as the same user. If you want to read borrowed books on multiple devices, such as a computer and a tablet, you can use this ID to transfer reading rights from device to device. Adobe ID is not needed if you read e-books on a single computer. Adobe ID is usually needed on tablets and mobile devices.
There are two ways to create an Adobe ID account: on the Adobe website or after installing Adobe Digital Editions.
If your computer fails to open the e-book in Adobe Digital Editions
In some cases a computer may fail to open the e-book file filename.acsm (e.g. URLLink.acsm) in Adobe Digital Editions. Try re-installing the software or associate the .acsm file type with Adobe Digital Editions.
Associate the .acsm file type with Adobe Digital Editions
Instructions for Windows 10:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Select Default apps and Choose default apps by file type.
- Associate .acsm with Adobe Digital Editions.
If the method above fails, try this:
- Find the file filename.acsm (e.g. URLLink.acsm). Most browsers save a file to a Downloads folder. Right click on the file and select Open with
- If Adobe Digital Editions is not shown in the window How do you want to open this file, click Look for another app on this PC.
- Go to folder C > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions. Click the file name DigitalEditions and Open.